Saturday, November 3, 2012

Top 10 #1 - Creativity Revival

First: I have decided, as a means to get into the groove of blogging regularly again, every day that falls on an even number in the month of November I am going to post a "Top 10" list. This is my attempt to kill two birds with one stone. I feed my addiction for creating lists AND it gets me back into the groove of writing regularly, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Second: It has recently been brought to my attention that my creativity has been lacking lately. If you knew me before I became a stay-at-home-mother-of-soon-to-be-three, you know that I highly enjoy crafting. It is another item on my list of things that bring a sense of joy and accomplishment to my life. With as busy as life has been lately, and with baby on the brain for the past few months, the extent of my creativity has been pinning crafts and other DIY projects on Pinterest. Well, this week I have decided that I am going to block out time to actually recreate 10 Pinterest crafts. Some of them are projects that the kids can help me with, but some of them will have to wait until the kids go to bed so little fingers don't turn them into Pinterest Flops. I'm sure I will "flop" them well enough on my own.

Without further ado, I give you...

Top Ten Crafting Projects Found on Pinterest

1. The No-Sew Pillow Cover

Link to original website.

This is one project that I don't think could get any simpler. All I really have to do is take a trip down to the fabric store, cut, iron, then fold.

2. Advent Calendar

Link to where Pinterest lead me for this project.

With Xmas just around the corner, this one is a must. Sure, I could go down to Starbucks and pick up one of their Advent Calendars that are so popular, but that doesn't require any creativity, and frankly, my kids don't need the candy. This way, I can fill the envelopes with notes reading "make a pinecone xmas tree" or "bake cookies with mom". Much more fun and exciting than sinking your teeth into a square of chocolate. Well, Vada might argue that point.

3. Paperclip Bookmarks

Find it here.

Easy-peasy, and a great little project for the kids to help with. They will make great gifts for family and friends that enjoy reading. If they're really good and nice, we may even throw a book into their gift bag as well.

4. Thanksgiving Chain

Link.

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I think this is a perfect project for the kidlets. For each day of November (we will have to do a few originally to get caught up) we will create a ring that has one thing that we are thankful for written on it. A good way to get into the spirit of Thanksgiving. And with Vada being the #1 fan of paper chains (she takes after me in this department), this will be an excellent project for her.

5. Clothespin Tin

Sorry for the microscopic picture. Link.

This is a two-for-one. This is one of the first crafts that I pinned on my Pinterest account, and I am still in love with it. As you can see, it can be used as a small planter, a votive holder, or whatever your mind can conjure up.

6. Yarn Initial

See how it's done here.

Of course, it will be the letter "V" instead. A great way to pull the small amount of blue that is in  Vada's room onto her bed wall (which is also the wall that displays her "V" collection).

7. Painted Mason Jars

This and other Mason Jar ideas.

I can't bear throwing away, or even recycling, jars in good condition. Instead, I have a collection going on one of the shelves in our garage. I do my best to scrub off all dates and numbers that have been printed on the jar, and to remove any glue residue from the label. After that, they go straight to the garage to await their second chance in life. This is a great way to fancy them up and put them to use. I may even paint the lids also, after cutting a slit in them, and superglue them onto the jar to create a piggy bank. I know Vada has been asking for a piggy bank without a plug in it so that way she is forced to save.

8. Tree Gift Tags

Originally found at this Etsy store.

These are SUPER cute! Punch a hole in the tops to thread some string through, glue a "To & From" strip of paper to the backs, and we'll have darling little gift tags to spiffy up Xmas gifts.

9. Button Hair Clips

Link from Pinterest.

After I cut out the circles, Vada can do the stitching (she's had a sewing itch lately). Perfect for my beautiful nieces, and some of the little girls at church. Ok, maybe even me too.

10. Chore Chart

Organizing mama who made this one.

I have sort of a different idea for our chore chart, but it's similar to this. Each child will have a set of chore cards (the baby's will be "eat", "sleep", "poop"). Each child will also be designated three pockets. One pocket will be labeled "To Do". Another will be labeled "Done". And the last one will have their name on it. Each card will contain one chore. AM chores will be one color. PM chores will be another. The night before I will place the days chores in their "To Do" pocket. Once it is complete, they can move it to their "Done" pocket. If all of their chores are completed by bedtime, they will receive a sticker to place on the card that will be in the pocket with their name on it. At the end of the week, if they have seven stickers, they will receive their full allowance. If their card is missing a sticker or two, their allowance will be adjusted as I see fit (taking into consideration plans that interfere with the time needed to complete chores, their attitude towards their chores throughout the week, etc.). This is, by far, the craft that I am looking forward to completing the most. Anything that adds structure and routine to my kids lives is high on my list. Mainly because it makes my life, as well as theirs, much more pleasant. And with Vada being such a visual person, she will do well with this system.

Now, I know stealing ideas from Pinterest isn't truly being creative (I had this discussion with a friend last weekend), but hopefully it will get me back into a creative groove. It will force my mind to start focusing on things other than house cleaning, laundry, Revenge, and the hundreds of different color options for the nursery.

P.S. - it is 1:45 in the morning of November 3rd. Let's just pretend I wasn't busy running errands all day and posted this before 12am on November 2nd. Thanks a bunch!

No comments: