Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cruisin' Part I


For the past five days, Kyle and I have been on vacation. Three days were spent on A CRUISE TO NASSAU, and the other two days were spent getting to and from THE CRUISE TO NASSAU! Did I mention that we went on A CRUISE TO NASSAU?!

A CRUISE!

TO NASSAU!

If you are assuming that, due to what you have read so far in this post, this is my first cruise, then you assume correctly. If you are also assuming that I have never been to the Bahamas, then you assume correctly yet again. In fact, I have never even been out of this country.

I KNOW! All those years that I lived in the Phoenix area and I haven't even been to Mexico. I have lived a sheltered life.

Let me tell you though, this vacation was no piece of cake.

Less than 48 hours before our plane was to depart from the Reno/Tahoe Airport, we received a call from our friend, the one who was going to be watching our children while we were out of town, to tell us that we would need to find someone else to watch our children during the weekdays because they had a "situation". Talk about panic! Everyone we know, other than this particular friend, who we trust with our children, and who are children would feel comfortable with, work during on the weekdays. I tried my best to remain calm, but after hanging up the phone it was as if my heart had just taken Speed.

Thankfully my brother didn't have to work on the days we needed a sitter for the kids and offered to help us out. He had never watched the kids before without my parents around. You can see my concern, but with my sister there also, and Vada old enough to feed herself, and Broden if needed, I felt this was our best option. My mother would be there in the evenings and during the weekend to relieve him of his duties, and was merely a phone call away if something went wrong during Jordan's reign of power.

As we were getting ready to board the cruise ship, soon to longer have any means of communication with anyone in the States unless we wanted to pay $8 per minute, I received a message from said friend saying that she would be watching our kids over the weekend. Hmm. I let her know that my mother had already planned on watching our kids, but thanks anyway. I then sent my mother a message to inform her of the matter. That's when I received a message back saying that she had already worked it all out with said friend. Nothing like being left in the dark about what's going on with your children until just seconds before you are about to be out of contact with EVERYONE but your fellow shipmates for the next three days.

It was then that I decided that I probably should have just canceled my trip from the first sign of Vacation  Distress. But what was I supposed to do at that point. I tried to put a smile on my face and do my best to forget that there were issues with the kids at all. If you're a parent, you know how impossible this is.

While we enjoyed attending conferences, eating amazing three-course dinners, meeting new people, and laying out by the pool under the warm sun, I was constantly worrying about my children. Wondering if they felt as if they were being juggled around.

This would have been ten times worse if I had known prior to Monday evening that, due to a miscommunication, my mother had to call out of work on Monday to be with our kids.

I have never been so happy to be back home with my children.

No comments: