Thursday, December 30, 2010

Honey! I'm Home!

Have you missed me? Please say yes. I like to feel important from time to time. Come on. Just give me a little smile and nod your head politely.

Thank you!

In case you didn't know, our family decided to spend Xmas away this year. To save my mother from the worry of our house being broken into, I chose not to post anything until AFTER our little vacation. Your welcome mom.

Where did we decide to run away to? Disneyland!


I brought it up in passing just before Thanksgiving, thinking there was no way Kyle would go for it. Shows how well I know my husband. He couldn't wait to get our reservations made and park hopper tickets purchased. For a second, I thought he might have made an appointment to get Mickey tattooed on his right butt-cheek so he could show it off around Toontown.

 
Nothing says happiness
like a Disneyland churro
Broden's first churro EVER
I was just eager to get away. The "Xmas Spirit" has bypassed me for the past couple years, and I thought being in the "Happiest Place on Earth" might give the Spirit a little kick in the rear. No stressing about who is coming over when on Xmas day, or Xmas Eve. No having to cook a lavish meal for 20 people. No feeling obligated to go places I don't want to go just so we don't hurt anybodies feelings. And let me tell you, it was wonderful!



Xmas morning in a hotel room with a hot pink Xmas tree was interesting, but I wouldn't have changed a thing about it. Okay, maybe I would have changed the fact that I had to stuff stockings in the bathroom, but that's it. Xmas Spirit politely waited outside as I stuffed ski socks into Kody's stocking while sitting in the toilet.


Grandma even came along for the fun! We weren't quite sure if she was going to be able to make it, but things worked out splendidly. And I think she was the more anxious one about Disneyland. She was up at 5:30 every morning, and on one morning was purposely trying to be loud so the rest of us would get up and get going. Maybe she should get a Mickey tattoo...?


This was the first year that Vada was more interested in the thrilling rides than meeting the characters. We would see a character here or there and I would ask, "Do you want to go see ______ ?" "No." It made me feel so juvenile because in my mind I'm thinking, "Oh my gosh! There's Pluto. PLUTO!", as I'm fighting the urge to jump up and down with excitement.


Even Broden just gave the character's a stare down. He would see them walking by and would just glare. No excited pointing or trying to wriggle out of my arms. He wasn't scared of them either. He only cried with Mickey. His favorite was Pluto. As the kids were standing there waiting patiently for me to push that little silver button on my camera, Broden kept petting Pluto's snout. Good doggie!


Kody hasn't been to Disneyland since he was anywhere between six and eight years old (there is much debate about how old he actually was, so I'm leaving it open), so I was constantly watching him for his reaction to everything. Although, the fact that he was too young to really remember anything from his previous trip to Disneyland ruined the sentimental value of rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, or The Jungle Cruise. I KNOW! Two of the greatest rides in the park! It's a crime.

Sleeping Beauty's Castle

I was a little worried about it being super crowded while we were there, seeing that the week of and the week after Xmas is one of their busiest times of the year, but it really wasn't that bad. Xmas Day was the worst, but even then the lines weren't too long. Not that we would know anything about waiting lines since Kyle quickly caught on as to how to manipulate the system. Three words: Parent, Switch, Pass. That's all I'm allowed to say.


With this being such a huge success, I'm thinking of making Xmas-away-from-home an every-other-year tradition.

Xmas 2012: New York City.

No comments: