Monday, July 26, 2010

Squeaky

I woke up around 7:30AM this past Saturday so I could get a head start on some yard work before it became too hot outside. I don't know about you, but I don't particularly enjoy feeling like a meal on a dish sitting under a heat lamp in the kitchen of a dirty restaurant. So, there I am, minding my own business. Pulling weeds, trying my best to stay in the shade, carrying on a conversation with Vada, ignoring the ache in my back. Okay, no longer able to ignore the ache in my back. I sat down on a board laying there on the ground because Kyle hadn't yet felt like sticking it in the garage. I lean over and I hear this squeak. The same exact squeak you would hear from a dogs chew toy. I ignore it. I bend over again. Squeak. Started to ignore it again but then I thought, "Hmm. Our dogs don't have any squeaky toys for the pure fact that they would drive me insane...like it's starting to do now." I bounce on the board to see exactly where it's coming from. To my right...under the board. I stand up and flip the board over to get the stupid toy that must have accidentally landed in our yard. Um...not a toy. To my complete amazement, it was a frog. Maybe a toad. Not quite sure how to tell the difference.

Reminder: I've never seen a frog outside of an aquarium EVER. So, this whole surprise!-I'm-a-frog-and-your-squeezing-the-squeaks-out-of-me thing has me a little nervous. I mean, what if he's pissed now that I bounced my butt on him a good 3-4 times and he decides to jump on my face and give me some weird frog rash on my eyelids?! Terrifying...I KNOW!

I get over this fear and put on my metaphorical big-girl pants in front of Vada so she doesn't freak out. I bend down to pick up the frog. Don't worry, no rash on the hands...I was wearing gardening gloves. Everything was great until he decided to squeak again. OH MY GOSH! Was I squeezing him too tight? Was this a warning? Was he sending out some sort of frog signal to his buddies so they would hop on my face?! We quickly found another cozy spot for him to call his home (he didn't like it though). Vada took a turn holding him, but she shared in my fear, so it didn't last long.


P.S. - Kyle still hasn't felt like putting that board in the garage. One more thing for my to-do list in the morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love your blog and how you like to point out all of my perfections!!! I do believe that I did put it in the garage though!

Alex said...

Nope, it's still leaning up against the house. :)