Saturday, April 10, 2010

It's Only Been Over 4 Years

I had an entertaining evening last night. But first, let me fill you in on a phone call I received at work Monday:

Me: This is Alex.
Kyle: Sooo, Train's going to be in town. We should go see them.
Me: I'm not really into Train, but you can go with someone else...?
Kyle: I don't want to. I want to go with my wife.
Me: Okay, well, I'll think about it. Now I have to go because I have more important things to do than talk to you................joking! I didn't really say that, but I can't really remember how the conversation ended, so this will do.

Because it's almost his birthday and all, I immediately hopped online to purchase a couple tickets for the Train concert. Part of me was hoping he would decide that he wanted to go with someone else. You see, Pat has a decent singing voice and all, but I just can't stand to listen to their music. Usually the reason is because I can't stand the vocals, i.e. Nickelback...oh, I gagged a little just mentioning their name. It could be that their songs are just too catchy (in that annoying way), it could be that all of their hit songs have to do with a girl that I know doesn't exist, or it could simply be that the radio has abused their music by playing a hit song over, and over, and over again. To all of you out there that like Train: good for you. I'm glad you have music that you enjoy listening to, their just not up my alley. Then the other part of me desperately wanted to go to a concert...any concert. I would have settled for Beyonce. Ha ha! Oh, that was funny. I haven't been to a concert in almost 4 years. TELL ME ABOUT IT! I'm becoming more and more of a dud everyday (PS - new goal-don't get duddlier! I can fight this!).

Butch Walker and the Black Widows

And FYI: because radio likes to murder music, I tend not to listen to it whenever possible. That is why I purchase CD's people. Not a huge download-music-off-the-internet type of gal. I want the real thing. Where I'm going with this is: I cannot be held responsible when I mention that I had never heard of the cover band. Never heard of them and didn't bother listening to some of their music online before the show. Well, they were pretty cool to see live. We just went to iTunes and listened to a couple more songs of theirs and it wasn't as impressive...but I think I might still buy a CD...? ANYWAY, the band was called Butch Walker and the Black Widows. Heard of them? Well, I hadn't, and I must say: one of his band members was rather attractive. Just sayin!

After a moderate intercession in which Kyle left to go relieve himself and I stood in a wide enough stance so eager beavers didn't crowd me in too much, leaving no room for Kyle when he returned, Train came on stage. I had a 9 foot girl standing in front of me, but that was okay because I wasn't too interested in watching the stage. I spent a good majority of Trains performance watching people in the crowd. Interesting. Oh, and note: I was standing in front of Kyle, about 4 people back from the stage, and we had two little girls to our left. I mean, they had to be around 10 and 12 or something. Well, at one point I look over at them and the youngest little girl had this look on her face like inside she was yelling: I'M GOING TO MARRY YOU SOMEDAY! Her eyes twinkled and she had the sweetest little smile. I tried to point it out to Kyle, but she quit making that face as soon as he turned to look.

Train

The song ends and he starts another. It had to have been called She's on Fire or something, because those are the only words I remember. Well, he stops singing part way through and announces that he wants a few little girls to hop on stage with him. I grab the little girls hand and raise it into the air. Keep in mind that she has no clue who I am. He picks out about 4 girls and then says he has as many as he needs. I was bummed for her. Then he turns around and says, "Well, we could have a couple more." I nudge Kyle and ask the little girl if she minded if Kyle picked her up. She said that was fine. Kyle picks her up from under her arms and raises her into the air. And...HE PICKED HER! He had them sing on cue "she's on fire", and the entire time she was very quiet. Very still. Very calm. But the smile that was on her face screamed, "AHHHH!" He gave her a t-shirt, shook her hand, and at one point put his arm around her shoulder. Sheesh, I was so stoked for her. You would have thought that was my daughter up there. I looked back at her mom and she gave me a thumbs up. Thumbs up right back at you mother-of-the-little-girl-in-love-with-Train! Right back at you.

Far right

That made my night. The rest of the concert was amazing just because I knew that little girl would never forget that time she was on stage with Train. She would talk about it all weekend, and wouldn't be able to wait to tell her teacher on Monday...and all the other kids at school.

We topped off the evening by getting some grub at Taco Bell, and then, kidless AND puppyless, I blogged while Kyle was snoring at my feet. We make the best of these opportunities.

No comments: