Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Prayers for Haiti

I don't even know where to begin with this post. I am still so rattled after reading the latest article on MSNBC about the devastation Haiti has and is experiencing. I just keep silently hoping that no one comes to my desk right now and thinks I'm losing it because of the tears I have rolling down my face.

When things like this happen I can't help but think of how lucky my family and I are, and pray that we remain this lucky. So many people have lost their lives due to Haiti's eartquake. Lost someone they love. Are in pain and suffering waiting to be rescued. I can't imagine being a victim who is helplessly lying beneath rubble waiting for someone to come help them out, but secretly knowing that it's probably not going to happen.

What triggers my tear ducts is thinking about all of the children. Not only those that have lost their lives or are injured, but about those who are now without parents. Those who are searching aimlessly to find out where their mommy or daddy is. Oh, gosh, here come the water works again.

After signing on, I noticed a post at Dooce. There, she has supplied a link that lets you know of the many ways you can help Haiti and the many who are suffering there. I highly encourage you to visit this link or this link and help out in any way you can. I know that you're credit cards are close to maxed out from the holidays (mine are too), your spouse might be out of work, you're trying to save up your money for that nice vacation that is well overdue, but even if you can only donate $5, please do it. And if you can't, if your pocket book just wont allow it, please keep Haiti in your prayers. Pray for them every second you get. Pray for help, food, water, shelter, medical care, etc.

Suddenly, only having $15 left over after the bills come out, having a cold and possible sinus infection, not getting the $300 back from insurance for my glasses, not having that one ingredient in my pantry for the meal I wanted to make last night, and the worry that the funny sound my car has been making gives me all just seems so trivial. Paying down the credit card can wait, I'm going to help Haiti with part of my next paycheck, and when I get that tiny tax return. I hope you can too.

No comments: