Friday, November 6, 2009

Goodbye October...Hello November

It’s been one week since I’ve been back to the grind. And it was a busy one, but that’s alright because it helps me not to dwell on the fact that I’m not spending time with my kids. Broden saves some chatty moments for me at the end of the day, and that makes me happy. Vada realizes how difficult it is for me and tries very hard to keep me smiling when I get bummed out about having to leave them to go to work. Such is life, and I’m trying to keep in mind that complaining will get me nowhere.

Vada has recently informed me that she is going to be a brain doctor AND an artist when she grows up. How awesome would that be?! We study her human anatomy book from time to time, but I’m no doctor so I can’t pronounce half of the words in that book. How do they come up with such brain scrambling words anyway? That’s why it takes so long to get through med school: it takes 2 years just to learn how to pronounce and spell these medical terms correctly. Anyway, back to Vada’s future professions. Since attempting to read the anatomy book just leads to Vada getting frustrated with me and telling me to just stop and pick out a different bedtime book, I can’t really help her in the brain doctor department till she’s ready to suck the money out of her college savings fund. I can however contribute some of my efforts and money now to get her art career on the way. This Monday she began here after school art class, and when asked how she liked it she responded with: “It was WONDERFUL!” She said it as if she was Alice from Alice in Wonderland. It made me crack a little giggle. Now all I have left to do, per her request, is to track down someplace or somebody to give her hip hop dance lessons. The only ones I can find are either just for adults or little boys. What? A little girl can’t hip to the hop!?

My grandmother came and left already. Hang on, let me wipe my tears before I continue. Alright. I love her visits to come see us, but I hate it when the day comes that I have to drive her to the airport. We tried our best to keep her entertained. We took a Friday and went to Apple Hill where we bought some delicious apples and a pumpkin to carve. The car ride there and back was a bit taxing on the kids, and we were all wiped out the next day, but we had a good time.

And who else can’t believe that Halloween has come and gone? We had fun carving our pumpkins the night before. Mine was the polka dotted one, which took me a total of about 5 minutes to complete with a drill. NO, I’m NOT LAZY! Vada carved the bat, and Kyle got all artsy-fartsy with the Mickey and Wolf Pack pumpkins. Costumes you ask? Vada was a bat again this year and Broden ended up wearing his little striped bear outfit from Carter’s. I don’t think his outfit was really intended to be a Halloween costume, but we had to make due with what we had. We really wanted him to be a turtle, and my brother-in-law even found him a costume, but unfortunately it was a tad too big. The plan was to cut off the legs and make it a bunting outfit, but then he would’ve ended up looking like a legless-turtle. Nothing like a turtle with two arms and no legs to scare the kiddies, or at least make them question exactly how mentally challenged his parents are. He didn’t end up wearing his bear outfit for very long anyway. He started getting fussy so we didn’t take him trick-or-treating (thank you mom for babysitting), and about 20 minutes after we put the costume on him the house started getting a tad warm with all of the bodies inhabiting it, so we took it off. I stole my costume idea from The Office by painting the word “BOOK” on my face. NO, I TOLD YOU ALREADY THAT I AM NOT LAZY! Kyle went as “Super Dad”. Okay, he’s lazy.

Oh my gosh honey, I’m kidding!

Trick-or-Treating was somewhat disappointing. So many houses had their lights turned off, and only a handful attempted to decorate. We didn’t even get rid of all of our candy that we had to hand out. Shut up Kyle, it’s not because no one wants to go to the house giving out Smarties! I loved those things as a kid I’ll have you know.

Here is my one scrapbooking project that I completed while on maternity leave. I’m rather proud of it, or more so the fact that I actually completed the page in one day while trying to balance a 6 year old and a newborn. That’s right; I busted my materials out around 9am and didn’t finish till about 10 o’clock that night. Hush your mush if you’re saying to yourself right now: “Wow, making one scrapbook page can’t be that hard to complete with two little kids, let alone it taking her one whole day.” If you haven’t been there, then you don’t know. YOU DON’T KNOW!

Last but not least, HOW CUTE IS THIS BEANIE!?!?! I just about died when I spotted it on Etsy. I HAD to have it for Broden. As much as I coddle him and speak to him in that high-pitched voice that just pops out of your mouth when you start talking to babies, he’s still going to be my little badass. And what kind of kickass kid would he be if he didn’t own something with a skull and crossbones on it? That’s right, he just wouldn’t. Oh, and have I mentioned that I hate the fact that I don’t have the patience to knit something like this myself? Thank you God for giving us Etsy so that we can take advantage of others craftiness.

Okay, I lied, this is last: how cute is it that he’s just staring at his big sister. I opened the door to get them out, saw him just staring at her, run around the car to get my camera out of the front seat, came back, and he was still just staring! They really do love each other.

“He just has the cutest ears mom.” – Vada

P.S. – I can’t wait for Thanksgiving deviled eggs. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

The Prettiest Mess You've Ever Seen said...

Dang girl! its about time! Your kiddos are getting so big! Broden is super adorable & Vada man i can just believe how stinking cute all her comments are!

I miss you!